ndustry first for commodity type as global enterprise confirms successful completion of first shipment using electronic Bill of Lading
The sugar consignment was sent from a load agent in Brazil to Lantic Inc in Canada. Jeremy Reynolds, Trade Execution Leader, Alvean, said: “The electronic bill of lading was issued to Alvean before being transferred to Lantic Inc, which confirmed receipt within just one hour of submission. Lantic Inc then surrendered the eBL and gave instructions for release to the carrier, Fednav, well in advance of the shipment reaching port in Canada.”
With a trading hub located in Geneva, Alvean specialises in originating, commercialising and trading raw and white sugar globally. The 50/50 joint venture was created by Cargill and Copersucar in October 2014 to serve sugar customers and suppliers all over the world.
“Bolero’s willingness and commitment to partner with us and our customers to on-board the various trade counterparties in the implementation of this and future electronic transactions was a major factor when selecting our preferred solutions provider,” added Reynolds. “Throughout the process, we have been very impressed with the speed and ease with which the transaction was carried out.”
Steven Holt, Documentation Assistant, Fednav Limited, said: “We have actively supported Bolero electronic Bills of Lading for more than two years.” “We see that certified electronic documents are more secure than their paper equivalent, reducing our risk and significantly speeding up the surrender process. For this shipment we issued the electronic Bill of Lading on Friday and Lantic Inc surrendered it back on Monday.”
Gary Cutress, Sales Director, Bolero, said: “The fact that this is the first time a digitised electronic trade has been carried out for sugar is extremely exciting and highlights the important role Bolero’s digital trade finance solutions are playing in transforming the way organisations trade globally. This is also the first time that an electronic presentation of documents has been carried out over Bolero into Canada, reflecting the technology’s continuing reach and impact on a global scale.”
— ENDS —
- GTR – http://www.gtreview.com/news/americas/first-e-bill-of-lading-transaction-for-sugar-sector/
- The Marine Professional – http://www.imarest.org/themarineprofessional/item/2000-e-documentation-sweetens-sugar-cargo-deal
- Finextra – http://www.finextra.com/news/announcement.aspx?pressreleaseid=60846
- FX-MM – http://www.fx-mm.com/44340/news/technology-news/alvean-looks-to-bolero-for-digitised-sugar-transaction/
- Trade Finance Magazine – http://www.tradefinancemagazine.com/Article/3479736/Alvean-Sugar-Lantic-complete-landmark-sugar-shipment-using-Bolero.html
- The Asset – http://www.theasset.com/article/29071/digitalization-ushers-in-a-new-era-for-trade-finance-#axzz3iguZBrBl
- Eva International – http://evaint.com/industry-news/alvean-looks-to-bolero-for-digitised-sugar-transaction
- TXF Media – http://www.txfnews.com/Tracker/Details/0289ab62-f2e6-4a40-b5c6-cbb012f4d90b
Bolero is a global leader in the handling of electronic trade finance documentation and automatic settlement. As pioneers of structured documents for corporate trade, today our solutions power more than 6 million trade documents and $80bn worth of trade transactions per annum.
Bolero has led the world in electronic document presentation for 12 years, bringing the industry’s first electronic Bill of Lading solution to market. We provide a range of solutions designed specifically for the fully electronic management and communication of trade finance documents and related messages, including open account, letters of credit, guarantees, standbys and collections between a corporate’s trade finance function and its panel banks.
For more information, please contact:
The Whiteoaks Consultancy
Tel: + 44 (0) 1252 727210